About Me

A slightly over-educated sailor sharing the wet and dry sides of his life.

Saturday, July 09, 2011

The Sadness of a Purple Finch


Purple Finch

Purple Finch


This tiny bird did not make it. One of my shipmates, Mike El Mobdy, found this purple finch a day out of Oakland and while washing down the ship's bridge wings. The first bad sign was that it was so easily caught. I tried feeding it water and some crackers, but it wouldn't take. After an hour or so, it fell over in a seizure and died. Kind of bleak.

Though I identify this bird as a Purple Finch, there were some odd differences from the description I found in my Sibley's field guide. Though the indicative "eye lashes" and the split lobed tail were present, this bird was at least an inch smaller and the tail length was clearly shorter than depicted in the illustration. Odd.

No comments: